The significant rise in counterfeit drugs necessitates the development of unique packaging features. One possible method is to include additional security features on or within the packaging by using specific label materials.
Anti-counterfeiting products in the Avery Dennison Fasson® range incorporate specific properties in the adhesive, face material or backing. These properties include, among others, UV fluorescent fibres, holograms, micro-print and UV fluorescent threads etc.
For product integrity and increased security, tamper-evident solutions using destructible films can also be used in a number of pharmaceutical packaging applications.
In face materials:
- Iridescent stripes
- Reactivity to certain solvents
- UV back-imprint
Standard holograms are mainly used for decorative purposes. However, customised holograms are powerful tools when used in security applications.
- The Fasson® product range offers more than 25 standard holograms
- Customised design holograms in 2-D or 3-D technologies are possible, with a small minimum order size of 3,000m2
- It is possible to register a customised design in the IHMA (Industrial Hologram Manufacturers Association) database for security and copyright protection
Labels which change appearance or are destroyed when an attempt is made to remove them.
- Destructible papers
- Ultra-destructible PVC
- Tamper-evident PEHD
- Acetate and Acetate UD
Void-labels: A void label leaves a “VOID” message on the substrate when the label is removed.
- The face material is a PET film, which can be matt or gloss
- Printable by thermal transfer or laser
- Available in white, silver and transparent or customised colors
- The message (a text or a logo) can be customised
- Label cannot be repositioned without leaving evidence of manipulation
Threads can be inserted into the adhesive and are made of a film. They can be visible or non-visible.
- Transparent, with a customer-specific micro-printed message
- Transparent, with a fluorescent print coating
- Holographic (4mm wide)
- IR taggants are special additives that can be mixed into the adhesive without changing adhesive properties, and make the adhesive discolour when exposed to a special lamp
- There are IR lamps that are very easy to handle (eg. in a pen)